Academy News 10th September
Welcome back to the new academic year. The summer holiday already seems to be a distant memory and the dark mornings and darker evenings are fast approaching.
We have all been incredibly excited to welcome our new pupils and staff to the Academy community this week and have already enjoyed learning about each other’s hopes, talents, dreams and passions.
We have welcomed the following new members of staff:
- Dr Toal has taken up the post of Vice Principal with responsibility for Teaching and Learning. Dr Toal has held a variety of senior roles in schools and will be delivering Religious Education lessons.
- Mr Tunstall is our new Faculty Leader for Maths.
- Mr Cooper has taken up the role of Maths and Science teacher.
- Mr Jones has taken up the role of English teacher.
- Mr Ellis has taken up the role of English teacher until Mrs Eardley returns from her maternity leave at Christmas.
- Mrs Harrop has joined the Academy as a Religious Education teacher.
- Mrs Henshaw has taken up the role of Creative Studies teacher until Mrs Johnson returns from maternity leave.
The Academy has also recruited some new members of staff to our administration support staff:
- Mrs Bailey and Mrs Naylor have taken up roles as Office Administrators.
- Mrs Lowe has taken up a role in the Finance Office supporting the Academy with HR and Finance.
We also have a number of staff taking on new roles within the revised Faculty and House structures. The details of these were explained last term.
The first two days of this term have been dedicated to pupils and staff developing their House identities (Elgar, Nightingale and Newton) and relationships in Tutor groups. We have spent time looking at what it is to be part of a Church school together with the high expectations and standards that we have in terms of our conduct, uniform and work.
At this point, I would like to thank all the parents and carers who have taken the time to equip all our learners with the correct uniform and necessities to start the academic year. Seeing every child looking so smart and taking pride in being part of this community clearly demonstrates the ethos and values of RESPECT that the Academy strives to abide by.
I would ask that parents speak with their children to find out what they are learning about and also encourage them to take part in the many extra-curricular and enrichment opportunities that will be offered over the next few weeks. Further information on this will be sent out as soon as possible
As we start the new academic year and see so many challenges in the wider world at the moment, I would like to share the following quotation from Malala Yousafzai with you:
“Let us remember: One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world.”